How much does an ATA carnet cost?
Costs of the ATA carnet vary depending on the value of the goods and the number of journeys.
Is it possible to have a carnet for horses?
Yes, if the carnet contains the following information:
- name of horse
- description of horse (e.g. “mare”)
- passport number (as on a passport)
- priceFor more information, please contact the Chamber of Commerce issuing the carnets to find out details for each country.
What happens in case of loss or theft of the ATA carnet?
- If the goods are still abroad, it is best to have a duplicate issued as soon as possible;
- If the goods are in Belgium, the Chamber will provide a “certificate of availability” (including the general list of goods) to the holder requesting it to be completed as soon as possible by customs (goods must be presented to customs).
Can a replacement carnet be issued for fewer goods than on the original carnet?
No, this is not possible.
What if the goods are lost or stolen?
- In principle the holder will then be liable for paying import duties and taxes to customs provided the goods have not left the country.
- The holder can best make a declaration to a competent authority (e.g. the police) on site.
- The holder can best notify customs when leaving the country and present the carnet to them.
What if the goods are sold on site?
- In principle this is not possible (e.g. prohibited in the US). If this were to happen as a matter of exception, the holder is required to pay import duties and taxes. The ATA carnet must be presented to customs on site to settle the importation.
- Customs will record the settlement on the re-exportation voucher of the carnet and give the holder a discharge.
- The holder shall provide a copy of the discharge together with the carnet to the Chamber.
Can the goods remain in the country of destination longer than the period of validity?
- A “replacement carnet” may be requested in certain countries. Normally a replacement carnet may only be issued before the expiry date on the carnet.
- Contact the issuing Chamber of Commerce in time to find out whether such a carnet is available!